Calcium chloride has a wide range of applications in various industries. Some of the major uses of calcium chloride are:
- De-icing: Calcium chloride is commonly used as a de-icing agent to prevent ice formation on roads, sidewalks, and runways.
- Desiccant: Calcium chloride is an excellent desiccant, meaning it can absorb moisture from the air. It is used to dry out and preserve a variety of materials, such as packaging, electronic equipment, and even art and artifacts.
- Oil and gas industry: Calcium chloride is used in the oil and gas industry as a brine to control the swelling of clay and shale formations and to increase the density of drilling fluids.
- Food industry: Calcium chloride is used in the food industry as a firming agent and as a source of calcium in various food products such as cheese, canned fruits and vegetables, and sports drinks.
- Medical applications: Calcium chloride is used in medicine as a source of calcium for people with calcium deficiencies.
- Concrete acceleration: Calcium chloride is used in the construction industry to accelerate the setting time of concrete.
- Water treatment: Calcium chloride is used in water treatment as a coagulant to remove impurities from water.
Agriculture: Calcium chloride is used in agriculture as a fertilizer to provide plants with calcium and to reduce soil salinity.