Calcium hydroxide is an inorganic compound that has a white, powdery appearance in its solid-state. However, it has a colourless appearance in its crystalline form. It is also known as slaked lime, hydrated lime, caustic lime, calcium(II) hydroxide, or pickling lime just to mention a few.
Some of the applications of Calcium hydroxide include:
- It is used to help prevent the deterioration of apples during storage.
- It is used in ammonia recovery during gas production.
- It is used in the purification of sugar juices.
- It is used in the food industry as a buffer and neutralizing agent.
- It is used in the poultry industry as a shell-forming agent.
- It is used in road construction.
- It is used in the stabilization of soils for road base.
- It is used in the treatment of acidic soils.
- It is used as a drilling fluid.
- It is used in fireproofing coatings.
- It is used to preserve eggs.
- It is used in dehairing hides in the leather industry.
- It is used in sewage treatment as a classifying agent or as a flocculant.
- It is used in the paper industry in the kraft process. This involves the converting of wood into wood pulp.
- It is used in the pickling of cucumbers.
- It is used in the production of plastics.
- It is used in the root canal process for filling cavities in the human teeth.