Carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) has numerous applications across various industries, some of the major applications are:
- Food Industry: CMC is widely used in the food industry as a thickener, binder, and stabilizer in products such as ice cream, sauces, dressings, and baked goods. It is also used as a fat replacer in low-fat and reduced-calorie foods.
- Pharmaceutical Industry: CMC is used in the pharmaceutical industry as a binder and disintegrant in tablets, as well as a thickener and stabilizer in suspensions and emulsions.
- Cosmetics Industry: CMC is used in the cosmetics industry as a thickener and emulsifier in products such as lotions, creams, and shampoos.
- Paper Industry: CMC is used in the paper industry as a wet-end additive to improve the paper’s strength and as a surface sizing agent to improve the paper’s printability.
- Textile Industry: CMC is used in the textile industry as a thickener and sizing agent for textile printing and dyeing processes.
- Oil Drilling Industry: CMC is used in the oil drilling industry as a fluid-loss control additive in drilling fluids.
- Ceramic Industry: CMC is used in the ceramic industry as a binder and rheology modifier for ceramic glazes and bodies.
Overall, CMC’s versatility and unique properties make it a widely used and essential ingredient in many products across various industries.