Citric acid has a wide range of applications in various industries due to its versatile properties. Some of the major applications of citric acid include:
- Food and Beverage Industry: Citric acid is commonly used as a flavoring agent, preservative, and acidifier in food and beverage products such as soft drinks, candies, jams, jellies, and fruit juices. It is also used to enhance the shelf life of food products and to prevent bacterial growth.
- Pharmaceutical Industry: Citric acid is used as an excipient in the pharmaceutical industry, as it helps to stabilize active ingredients and improve the absorption of certain drugs. It is also used in the production of effervescent tablets and as a buffering agent.
- Cosmetics and Personal Care Industry: Citric acid is used in the production of cosmetics and personal care products such as shampoos, conditioners, and skin care products. It is used as a pH adjuster, chelating agent, and preservative in these products.
- Cleaning Industry: Citric acid is used as a chelating agent in cleaning products such as laundry detergents and dishwasher detergents. It helps to remove hard water stains and mineral buildup from surfaces.
- Industrial Applications: Citric acid is used in various industrial applications such as in the production of biodegradable plastics, metal cleaning, and as a chemical intermediate in the production of other chemicals.
Overall, citric acid has a diverse range of applications across different industries due to its multifunctional properties.