Coated calcium carbonate has many uses in various industries due to its unique properties. Some of the major uses of coated calcium carbonate include:
- Plastics: Coated calcium carbonate is used as a filler in plastics to improve their strength, stiffness, and impact resistance. It also enhances the whiteness and opacity of plastic products, making them more visually appealing.
- Paper: Coated calcium carbonate is used as a filler in paper and board products to increase their brightness, opacity, and smoothness. It also improves the printability and ink retention of paper products.
- Paints and coatings: Coated calcium carbonate is used as a pigment and filler in paints and coatings to improve their hiding power, gloss, and durability. It also enhances the viscosity and stability of paint formulations.
- Adhesives and sealants: Coated calcium carbonate is used as a filler in adhesives and sealants to improve their strength and durability. It also enhances their rheology and thixotropy.
- Pharmaceuticals: Coated calcium carbonate is used as an excipient in pharmaceuticals to improve their flowability, compressibility, and stability. It also acts as a buffering agent and antacid.
Overall, coated calcium carbonate is a versatile material that has a wide range of applications in various industries. Its unique properties make it an essential ingredient in many products that we use every day.