Corn starch is a versatile ingredient that has many common uses, including:
- Thickening agent: Corn starch is commonly used as a thickening agent in sauces, gravies, and soups. It works by absorbing liquid and swelling to create a thickened consistency.
- Baking: Corn starch can be used in baking as a substitute for flour to create lighter and fluffier cakes, cookies, and pastries.
- Coating for frying: Corn starch is often used as a coating for fried foods like chicken or fish. It helps to create a crispy exterior while keeping the interior moist.
- Personal care products: Corn starch is a common ingredient in many personal care products, such as baby powder and dry shampoo. It can help to absorb moisture and oil.
- Adhesives: Corn starch is used in the production of adhesives, such as glue and paste.
- Textiles: Corn starch is used in the textile industry as a sizing agent to strengthen and stiffen fabrics.
- Papermaking: Corn starch is used in the production of paper to increase its strength and smoothness.
Overall, corn starch is a versatile ingredient that has many applications in various industries.