Diethanolamine [C4H11NO2 or (CH2CH2OH)2NH]
The compound is abbreviated as DEA or DEOA. It Is also known as diolamine, Iminodiethanol, or diothylolamine just to mention a few. Its appearance is that of an oily colourless liquid or solid white crystals. It has a mild ammonia-like odour or slight rotten fish.
Some of the applications of diethanolamine include:
- It is used in the purification of natural gases.
- It is used in the production of morpholine.
- It is used as a humectant and softening agent, as an intermediate in the rubber chemicals industry.
- It is used as an emulsifier and dispersing agent in some agricultural chemicals.
- It is used in cutting oils, shampoos, polishers, soaps, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics.
- It is used in the manufacture of lubricants that are used in the textile industry.
- It is used in the production of liquid detergents that are used as emulsions for paints, cleaners, polishes, and shampoos.
- It is used as a surfactant foam booster.
- It is used as an opacifying agent.