Formaldehyde and formalin have various uses in different industries and applications. Here are some common uses of formalin and formaldehyde:
- Preservative: Formalin is commonly used as a tissue preservative in biological specimens, such as for medical and research purposes.
- Manufacturing: Formaldehyde is used in the manufacturing of various products such as plastics, synthetic resins, coatings, textiles, and adhesives.
- Disinfectant: Formaldehyde is used as a disinfectant and germicide in healthcare facilities, laboratories, and other settings.
- Embalming: Formalin is used in the embalming process to preserve deceased bodies for funeral services.
- Agriculture: Formaldehyde is used as a fumigant to protect crops from pests and as a preservative in animal feed.
- Cleaning: Formaldehyde is used as an ingredient in some cleaning products, such as disinfectants and deodorizers.
- Medical applications: Formaldehyde is used in the production of some medications and vaccines.
- Personal care: Formaldehyde is used in some personal care products, such as hair straightening treatments and nail polishes.
It’s important to note that formaldehyde and formalin have potential health hazards and should be handled and used with caution in accordance with safety regulations.