Maltodextrin has several major uses, including:
- As a food additive: Maltodextrin is commonly used in the food industry as a thickener, stabilizer, or filler. It can be found in a variety of products such as sauces, salad dressings, and instant puddings.
- As a sweetener: Maltodextrin is a moderately sweet carbohydrate and can be used as a low-calorie alternative to sugar. It is often used in products like sodas, candy, and chewing gum.
- In sports nutrition: Maltodextrin is often used in sports drinks and energy bars as a source of quick energy for athletes. It is rapidly absorbed by the body, providing a quick source of glucose for energy during exercise.
- In pharmaceuticals: Maltodextrin is used as a filler and binder in pharmaceutical tablets and capsules. It helps to improve the stability and shelf life of these products.
- In personal care products: Maltodextrin is used in personal care products such as shampoos and conditioners as a thickener and emulsifier. It can also be found in cosmetics and skin care products as a moisturizing agent.