Methylene chloride is a versatile chemical that has a variety of industrial and commercial uses. Some of the major or common uses of methylene chloride include:
- Solvent: Methylene chloride is used as a solvent for various applications, including in the production of pharmaceuticals, plastics, adhesives, and paints.
- Paint Stripper: Methylene chloride is used as a paint stripper to remove paint and varnish from surfaces such as wood, metal, and masonry.
- Degreaser: Methylene chloride is used as a degreaser to clean metal parts and machinery.
- Foam Blowing Agent: Methylene chloride is used as a foam blowing agent in the production of polyurethane foams, such as those used in insulation.
- Extraction Solvent: Methylene chloride is used as an extraction solvent in the production of caffeine, spices, and other natural products.
- Refrigerant: Methylene chloride is used as a refrigerant in some applications, although this use has declined due to environmental concerns.
- Electronics Industry: Methylene chloride is used in the electronics industry as a cleaning agent for electronic components and in the production of printed circuit boards.
It is worth noting that methylene chloride can be harmful if not handled properly, and exposure to high levels of the chemical can be dangerous. Therefore, proper safety measures must be taken when handling this chemical