Sodium benzoate is primarily used as a food preservative to prevent the growth of bacteria, yeast, and mold in a wide range of food products, including:
- Beverages: Sodium benzoate is commonly added to soft drinks, fruit juices, and other beverages to extend their shelf life and maintain their flavor.
- Sauces and condiments: It is used in sauces, pickles, relishes, and other condiments to prevent spoilage and maintain freshness.
- Baked goods: Sodium benzoate is used in baked goods such as bread, cakes, and pastries to prevent mold growth.
- Dairy products: It is also used in dairy products such as cheese, yogurt, and sour cream to prevent spoilage.
- Cosmetics and personal care products: Sodium benzoate is used as a preservative in many cosmetic and personal care products such as shampoo, lotion, and toothpaste.
- Pharmaceutical products: It is also used as a preservative in some pharmaceutical products to prevent bacterial growth and maintain their potency.
Overall, sodium benzoate is a versatile and effective preservative that helps ensure the safety and quality of a wide range of products.