Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical compound with the formula NaOCl or NaClO. It is a chemical that is commonly known as bleach. Its physical appearance is that of a colourless or slightly yellow watery liquid which has an odour of household bleach. The industrial standard strength of the chemical compound is 12%. It is also available at 5%.
Applications of the chemical include:
1. It is used as a bleaching agent.
2. It is used as a disinfectant/sanitizer in cleaning wounds.
3. It is used in treating skin ulcers.
4. It is used in helping to prevent (as an anti-infective) or in the treatment of skin infections.
5. It is used as a sweetening agent in oil refineries.
6. It is used as a sanitizer in swimming pools.
7. It is used in the treatment of thiol spills.
8. It is used as a dye oxidizer.
9. It is used to prevent the formation of fungi which could cause plunging during oil production.
10. It is used as an antimicrobial pesticide.
11. It is used in wastewater treatment.