Sulfuric acid is a highly versatile chemical with many industrial applications. Some of the most common uses of sulfuric acid include:
- Production of fertilizers: Sulfuric acid is a key ingredient in the production of ammonium phosphate and other fertilizers.
- Metal processing: Sulfuric acid is used to remove impurities from metals and ores, such as in the production of copper, zinc, and aluminum.
- Dyes and pigments: Sulfuric acid is used in the production of dyes and pigments for paints, textiles, and other applications.
- Petroleum refining: Sulfuric acid is used in the refining of crude oil to remove impurities.
- Batteries: Sulfuric acid is used in the production of lead-acid batteries, such as those used in cars and other vehicles.
- Cleaning agents: Sulfuric acid is used in the production of detergents and cleaning agents.
- Water treatment: Sulfuric acid is used to adjust the pH of water and to remove impurities.
- Pharmaceuticals: Sulfuric acid is used in the production of some pharmaceuticals.
It is important to note that sulfuric acid is a highly corrosive and dangerous chemical, and it should be handled with extreme care by trained professionals.