Uncoated calcium carbonate is a versatile mineral that has a wide range of industrial and commercial applications. Some of the major or common uses of uncoated calcium carbonate include:
- Paper manufacturing: Uncoated calcium carbonate is used as a filler and coating agent in the production of paper, improving its brightness, opacity, and printability.
- Paints and coatings: It is used as a pigment extender and to improve the rheology, gloss, and durability of paints and coatings.
- Plastics: Uncoated calcium carbonate is used as a filler to enhance the mechanical properties of plastic products, such as stiffness, impact resistance, and dimensional stability.
- Rubber: It is used as a reinforcing agent in the production of rubber products, such as tires, belts, and hoses, to improve their strength and durability.
- Construction: Uncoated calcium carbonate is used as a filler in concrete and mortar to improve their strength, durability, and workability.
- Agriculture: It is used as a soil conditioner to neutralize acidic soils and provide essential nutrients to plants.
- Food and pharmaceuticals: Uncoated calcium carbonate is used as a dietary supplement, an antacid, and a bulking agent in food and pharmaceutical products.
Overall, uncoated calcium carbonate is a highly versatile mineral that plays an essential role in many industrial and commercial applications.