Cetyl alcohol has several major or common uses in various industries, some of which are:
- Cosmetics and personal care products: Cetyl alcohol is commonly used in cosmetic and personal care products such as lotions, creams, and shampoos as an emulsifier, thickener, and lubricant. It gives products a smooth and creamy texture, helps to improve their spreadability, and prevents them from separating.
- Pharmaceuticals: Cetyl alcohol is also used in pharmaceutical products such as ointments and creams as an emulsifying agent and stabilizer.
- Food industry: Cetyl alcohol is used as a coating agent for certain types of candies to prevent them from sticking together.
- Industrial applications: Cetyl alcohol is used in a range of industrial applications such as lubricants, surfactants, and plasticizers.
- Textile industry: Cetyl alcohol is used in the textile industry as a softener and lubricant for fabrics.
- Candle-making: Cetyl alcohol is used in the production of candles to increase their hardness and improve their burning characteristics.
- Hair care products: Cetyl alcohol is commonly used in hair conditioners and styling products as an emollient and thickener, which helps to soften and smooth the hair.