Nonylphenol ethoxylate (NPE) has been widely used in various industrial and commercial applications due to its surfactant properties. Some of the major or common uses of NPE include:
- Industrial Cleaning: NPEs have been utilized in industrial cleaning formulations, including degreasers, metal cleaners, and parts washers. Their ability to remove oil, grease, and other contaminants from surfaces makes them effective in industrial cleaning processes.
- Textile Processing: NPEs have been employed in textile processing, particularly in the textile dyeing and finishing stages. They aid in the dispersion and wetting of dyes and assist in the removal of excess dye from fabrics.
- Agrochemicals: NPEs have been used in the formulation of agricultural pesticides and herbicides to enhance the effectiveness of the active ingredients. They help in dispersing and spreading the chemicals on plants and improving their adhesion.
- Paper and Pulp Industry: NPEs have found applications in the paper and pulp industry as wetting agents, emulsifiers, and dispersants. They assist in the efficient mixing of pulp fibers, improve paper strength, and aid in the removal of ink during recycling processes.
- Paints and Coatings: NPEs have been utilized in the formulation of paints, coatings, and adhesives as surfactants. They improve the wetting and spreading properties of these products, enabling better coverage and adhesion to surfaces.
- Household and Institutional Cleaning Products: NPEs have been present in various household and institutional cleaning products, such as detergents, all-purpose cleaners, and degreasers. They help in the removal of dirt, stains, and grease from surfaces.