Aluminium hydroxide has several major or common uses, including:
- Antacid: Aluminium hydroxide is commonly used as an antacid to neutralize excess stomach acid and provide relief from heartburn, indigestion, and stomach ulcers.
- Water treatment: Aluminium hydroxide is used in water treatment processes to remove impurities and improve the clarity and safety of drinking water.
- Flame retardant: Aluminium hydroxide is used as a flame retardant in plastics, rubber, and textiles, as it releases water vapor when heated, which helps to cool and extinguish flames.
- Filler: Aluminium hydroxide is used as a filler in a variety of materials, including paper, ceramics, and paint, to improve their properties and performance.
- Catalyst: Aluminium hydroxide is used as a catalyst in chemical reactions, particularly in the production of polyolefins, which are used to make a wide range of plastic products.
- Pharmaceutical: Aluminium hydroxide is used as an excipient in pharmaceutical formulations, such as vaccines and antacids, to enhance their stability and effectiveness.
Cosmetics: Aluminium hydroxide is used in cosmetics and personal care products, such as deodorants and antiperspirants, as an absorbent and as a thickening agent.