MAJOR USES OF HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
Hydrogen peroxide has numerous uses across different industries and applications. Here are some of the major uses of hydrogen peroxide:
- Disinfectant: Hydrogen peroxide is widely used as a disinfectant for surfaces, wounds, and medical equipment. It is effective against a wide range of microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- Bleaching agent: Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful bleaching agent and is commonly used in the textile and paper industries to whiten fabrics and paper products.
- Water treatment: Hydrogen peroxide is used in water treatment plants to remove organic pollutants and to disinfect water.
- Hair and teeth whitening: Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used as an active ingredient in hair and teeth whitening products.
- Rocket propellant: Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a rocket propellant in the aerospace industry.
- Chemical synthesis: Hydrogen peroxide is used in the synthesis of a wide range of chemicals, including epoxides, peracids, and peroxides.
- Environmental applications: Hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean up oil spills and to treat contaminated soil and groundwater.
Overall, hydrogen peroxide is a versatile and widely used chemical compound with a range of applications across different industries.